RE: [oletrucks] more 5 speed questions

To: "truck list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] more 5 speed questions
From: "Gwyn Reedy" <mgr@mgrcorp.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 09:19:05 -0400
Jack Halton wrote:

> Also the first gear ratio comes into play in
> determining torque ratio - the higher (lower numerically) the transmission
> is geared, the higher the torque rating. I don't quite understand why this
> is so, but I'll take their word for it!

The higher (numerically) the first gear ratio, the more torque is produced
for the rest of the components to handle. For example, input 200 ft. pounds.
If 1st is 3:1 then there is 600 ft. pounds going out the tailshaft. If 1st
is 4:1 then there is 800 ft. pounds going out the tailshaft.

Higher internal torque loads strain the case and bearings (the mainshaft
wants to bulge away from the countershaft more as torque increases and the
front to rear forces on bearings is greater due to bevel gears).

I saw a list of Camaro T56 torque ratings. There have been three models. The
earliest had the deepest 1st gear and the lowest torque rating. The latest
had the shallowest first gear and the highest torque rating.

Gwyn Reedy
Brandon, Florida
mailto:mgr@mgrcorp.com