RE: [oletrucks] Electrical question

To: "'BelAir Bob'" <rogerz@planetwide.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Electrical question
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:57:27 -0500
Assuming decent connections, the additional resistance of the added
connector is not significant.

I used a 9 pin Molex connector for all the electrical connections
to the right side dash module (GMC TFs have 2 clusters) which covers
my fuel and temp gauges, a modified Sun SuperTach II in the original
mechanical tach's location, the turn signal indicator lamp (only one
on the GMC) and the dash lamps.  Works great.  Makes it really easy
to R&R the instrument panel right side.  I attached a terminal block
to the back side of the dash module, ran all the wires from the module
to the terminal block and then wired from the terminal block to the
Molex connector.  Ended up using 7 of the 9 pins as follows:

Pin #           Function
1               Switched +12 VDC
                        connect at terminal block as hot to tach,
                        fuel gauge, temp gauge
2               Tach signal from points
3               Fuel gauge to tank sending unit
4               Water temp gauge to intake manifold sending unit
5               From headlight switch dash lamp dimmer
                        connect at terminal block to all dash lamps
6               Turn signal indicator
7               Ground
                        connect at terminal block as ground for tach,
                        fuel gauge and to the frame of the cluster.
                        This allows proper instrument operation when the
                        cluster is unbolted from the dashboard, but still
                        plugged in.

The Molex connector and terminal board were less than $10 total at
Radio Shack.  All wiring was 14 gauge (probably overkill, but I already
had the bulk wire) and when I finished I wrapped the seven conductor
cable with spiral wrap (also from Radio Shack) to protect it.  I made
the cable long enough that I could place the instrument module on the
seat while it was still connected.

The left side contains speedometer, mechanical oil pressure gauge,
ammeter, dash lamps and high beam indicator.  I would NOT recommend
running the ammeter through a connector.  Way to much current unless
you used something really big, which sort of defeats the purpose.  I
just made the wire for the high beam much longer and connected all the
dash lamp wires together and then ran one long wire to the headlight
switch dash lamp dimmer.