FW: [oletrucks] RE: IFS, but not to open any can or worms again

To: "'Old Trucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: [oletrucks] RE: IFS, but not to open any can or worms again
From: Whittaker Bill G Civ ASC/SMY <Bill.Whittaker@wpafb.af.mil>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:50:55 -0400

We all have our opinions and it's easy to see that you don't like the Ford
setup.  I have no problem with that... but let's not forget what we're talking
about here.

You apparently have a lot of experience with suspension systems.  Unfortunately
this is not a skill most people have.  The average backyard mechanic is going
to have to rely on someone else to do the "engineering" simply because he
doesn't have the skills necessary to design a safe and reliable system himself.
 All I'm saying is that one should be very careful when selecting who's
engineering they're going to trust.  For me, when it comes to suspension
geometry I'll trust a major auto manufacturer over an aftermarket entrepreneur
any day.  Not to say the small guy isn't skilled or doesn't know what he's
doing,  but not everyone is capable of building a better mouse trap.  Odds are
that only a very few are going to design something better than what Detroit
puts out and I don't care who's parts they use, Ford, Mopar, or GM, if the
geometry isn't right it not only could be but most likely will be dangerous.

On the other hand, thousands of street rodders are very happy with their
Mustang II setups, as am I.  I have one on my 41 Chevy pro-street coupe and a
brand new one ready for the '53 pickup.  I can understand brand loyalty but
believe it or not, GM doesn't always have the "best" solution. Ask any Nova
owner...  probably one of the worst front suspension systems ever designed.
Even Jim Meyer agrees on that point.

Bill Whittaker
'53 3100 Hemi
Built Like A Rock