[oletrucks] RE: IFS, but not to open any can or worms again

To: "'Old Trucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: IFS, but not to open any can or worms again
From: Whittaker Bill G Civ ASC/SMY <Bill.Whittaker@wpafb.af.mil>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:58:11 -0400
While you're checking him out... Ask him who's geometry he uses.  Just because
he chooses to manufacture IFS systems with GM parts doesn't mean he uses GM
geometry just like a lot of guys making Mustang II systems don't completely use
Ford's geometry. (No, I'm not going to disguise the word.) There's nothing on
Jim Meyer's web site that tells you anything about his geometry except to say
it's "correct".  Also he has at least one kit that has an adjustment to
eliminate bump steer.  It's always been my experience that if the suspension
geometry was correct in the first place this isn't a problem. This adjustment
could be necessary for just one application, I don't know. But it is something
to take into consideration when evaluating suppliers, especially ones who's
engineering your going to trust your life to.

I'll say this again... I'm not picking on Jim Meyer's products perse'... what I
am saying is thoroughly investigate whatever system you're interested in and
make your own decision.  There's a bunch of manufacturers out there making
similar claims and many of them are short on design and long on pretty words
and pictures.  If Jim Meyers makes a system that looks good to you, and your
satisfied with his engineering and geometry, then go for it.

Bill Whittaker
'53 3100 Hemi
Built Like A Rock
With Mopar Stock