[oletrucks] IFS ad infenitum

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] IFS ad infenitum
From: "Dennis O'Connor" <boyoconnor@netscape.net>
Date: 15 Sep 00 10:54:33 PDT
Good IFS discussions...this list is a great source of information!

The only point about IFS swaps which hasn't really been covered is that you're
putting a car suspension into a truck.  The how-to page I've seen on the Pacer
IFS swap notes how the Pacer is nearly as heavy as our trucks (3800lbs) so
it's "plenty sturdy".  That is, until you add 2 passengers, a dog, and 1/2 ton
of payload.  The Mustang II was lighter than the Pacer.

Sure, lots of folks don't use their trucks to haul stuff around so that's
probably fine.  But if you do load it up you're second guessing what safety
factors the original IFS designers put in (1.25X? 1.5X? 2.0X?) before it fails
when it hits that big pothole down the street.  :)

I'm really surprised why nobody is selling kits to swap the IFS from the
Chevy/GMC Rounded Series ('72-'87) trucks.  I'm doing this on both a 1/2 ton
(from a C-10) and a 3/4 ton (from a C-20) at home.  Drop spindles and new
springs are pretty much a requirement for lowering, along with some spacers
and brackets to bolt it on, but there's good peace on mind that it's designed
for the task at hand.

-Boyo