Re: [oletrucks] Re: Pertronix ignitor

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: Pertronix ignitor
From: SnappyDog1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:59:40 EDT
I put over 250,000 miles on a Pertronix in a slant six in a 72 Dodge phone
van with absolutely no problems.  That's in addition to who knows how many of
the 250,000 miles already on the van when I bought it.  11 years without
points was a nice vacation.
I was planning on getting one for my 216, but it seems that stovebolters
posting here and elsewhere are having problems.
I've looked through postings on lists for other makes of vehicles and haven't
found the level of dissatisfaction experienced by stovebolters.  This would
lead me to believe that the problem might be something specific to our
application, or to the 1168 unit in particular.
It seems to me that if we put our heads together we might possibly find some
common denominator pertaining to our problems with a product that seems to
work well for so many others.
To this end, if those of you who've had problems with the Pertronix could
share the specifics of your setup; which model of Pertronix you used, engine,
6 or 12 volt, pos or neg ground, ballast resistor, type of coil, generator or
alternator, etc., and anything else that might have contributed to a failure,
we might be able to get to the bottom of this.
The general consensus seems to be that the mini-HEI is the way to go, but if
there's one thing I've noticed about this group, it's that we like options.

Barrett Revis
Sparks, NV

'53 3105
'48 3105