[oletrucks] 216 to 235 swap

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 216 to 235 swap
From: Tom3600@webtv.net
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:01:57 -0500 (CDT)
Update:
Who said it's never easy?  All the archives suggest using the 216
bellhousing, flywheel, starter and clutch when switching to a 235.  Well
my 1949 3/4 ton 216 clutch was a 9 bolt so I decided to use the 235
flywheel and clutch (6 bolt) so I could switch to a 235 pressure plate
and a S10 clutch disc and T5 tranny.  In order to stay with the 216
starter and flywheel ring gear,  I took both flywheels to a machine shop
to swap out the 216 ring gear.  Both flywheels are exactly the same
diameter with the ring gears in place but guess what? The 235 flywheel
without the ring gear had a slightly bigger diameter (1/8 th In.) so it
had to be turned down on a lathe before the 216 ring gear could be
pressed on!  It would have been easier and cheaper to use the 235
flywheel and starter combo but I had just rebuilt the 216 starter
I am using a 1991 Chevy S10 T5 2.8 L V6 transmission.  So far I haven't
had to do anything but ream out the 4 mounting bolt holes to 1/2 " from
the metric size.  The 235 bellhousing, throwout bearing, clutch fork and
pilot bearing work fine without modifying the length of the T5 spline.
Since my 3/4 ton truck has an open drive shaft all I need to do is have
a driveshaft fabricated (or find one at a junkyard) to fit between the
T5 and my stock rearend.  I could not have even attempted this whole
modification if it were not for all you fellow ole truckers help and
information.

THANKS!
Tom

Tom Poterack