Re: [oletrucks] Rust removal on bedsides

To: "Alan Quin" <Alan_Quin@bc.sympatico.ca>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rust removal on bedsides
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:09:46 -0700
>I have always been impressed with the long ago
>technology which created the almost 360 degree roll on the top of the
>bedsides.  Love to have seen the machine GM used.

Alan, I'll bet you'd be surprised at how simple it was.  I'm guessing it was
a big cyllinder with a lengthwise groove.  They stuck the end of the steel
sheet in the groove, gave it a twist, pulled it out the end and sent the
sheet over to a brake for the 90 degree bend.

Blacksmiths have similar jigs, albeit on a smaller scale, in everyday
operation.  If metalworking interests you, search ABANA (American
Blacksmiths something, something) Home Metal Shop (good site from Houston),
Bramblebush (lots of good articles, mainly artistic, but much of the
technique applies)  and similar terms.

Regards,

grant S.