Re: [oletrucks] long beds and quadrajets

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] long beds and quadrajets
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 00:16:14 -0600 (CST)
I have a 57 3200.  That 8 foot box is sure handy for a working truck.
IMHO, if you're in this for the investment, you're in the wrong hobby.  If
it appeals to you, go ahead with it.  I sure like mine.  I also think the
proportions of the truck seem to work out better, though it could be that
we are so used to seeing 9 ft boxes on most modern short cab trucks.

If you'r happy with the quadrajet, and you get great mileage, keep it.
They are easy to rebuild if they need it and seem to be reliable.  The only
weak spot is the auto choke, which never seems to work.  Mine has a manual
conversion which works just fine.  I have a different engine, though.

If the water pump fits otherwise, go ahead and try it.  I doubt it will
generate enough pressure to blow the heater core as long as you have the
recommended 6 or 7 PSI cap on the stock radiator.  The radiator seems to be
the weaker of the two, and the core is nearly impossible to patch, from
what I've been told.

Bruce Kettunen
Mt. Iron, MN