Re: [oletrucks] Tappet adjustment

To: sculver@iwl.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tappet adjustment
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 15:15:06 EST
In a message dated 11/8/00 10:45:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, sculver@iwl.net
writes:

> Now that I know the clearance for tappet adjustment, and the order of
>  intake/exhaust valves (Thanks to all who answered), my next question
>  involves how to set the tappets.  As I recall from years ago, some can be
>  set with the engine running.  This does not appear to be the case with my
>  truck.  Can I warm up the engine, cut it off, and have someone "bump" the
>  starter until the clearance is at the maximum, and adjust each tappet while
>  the engine is stopped?  Seems like I recall some engines where that was
>  done.
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  Smokey Culver, League City, Texas
>  '50 3600 5-window (mine)

  Yes, you can do it that way...if so...I'd suggest you just remove the
plugs, and rotate the motor by hand, as oppsosed to bumping the starter.

  The only drawback that I see is the valves adjusted last, will have cooled
off more than the first valves adjusted.  This *could* change the clearance
some.

  Mike