[oletrucks] Heater Control Valves--anyone rebuilt one?

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Heater Control Valves--anyone rebuilt one?
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:38:12 -0700
The deluxe heater in my 59 extended cab pickup has
been leaking, so I started messing with my spare
heater, in the hopes that I can get it to not leak.
The heater in the truck had a bad control valve, so
I bypassed it with a mickey mouse plumber's
nightmare of plastic elbows and heater hose.  I'd
like to get the temperature valve working in it.

I took apart the spare heater, and checked for
leaks.  I have an air pressure regulator, with a
gage on it, and quick disconnect fittings, so I can
put it in line with the air hose when painting,
spraying drywall texture, etc.  It also works for
leak checking, I just set it to about 10 to 15 psi,
put a nozzle on it, and use it to blow into the
heater core...while plugging up the other core
fitting with my thumb, and holding it underwater to
check for bubbles.  The core didn't leak, but the
control valve did.  So, I took the valve apart.  It
has a rubber washer with a nipple in the middle that
fits around the valve shaft.  The rubber is getting
dried out, and cracking some, not all the way thru,
but enough to let it leak.

Where could I get a new washer for it?  Seems silly
to pay $30-40 for a new valve (missing the
thermostatic tube, at  that) when I just need a new
washer...

Also, I put the thermostatic tube in a pot of hot
water, to see if it moves the gizmo at the
valve...and it does!  not sure if it's enough
movement, it goes about 1/8" in water that's close
to boiling.

Any input welcome.  I'm in digest mode, so if you
kindly send replies to my email as well as the list
I'll see them sooner    :)

Thanks,
Jim F
59s in AZ