Re: [oletrucks] 1955 265 V8 Breather

To: chevy1@jps.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1955 265 V8 Breather
From: john dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:01:37 -0500
That is the location for the road draft tube and possibly the optional
PCV system. I have never actually seen in person an original V-8 pcv
system, but I don't think it used a rubber grommet. Most of the early
systems were hard piped. I do know that the 55 car shop manual shows a
PCV valve that is threaded on both ends.

Probably what you have is a later add-on. I did this to a 265 years ago.
I took a freeze plug and drilled it so that a late model grommet fit in
the center, then removed the road draft tube and drove the freeze plug
into the hole. i worked very well.

The thing to remember is that PCV is NOT a pollution control, Its
designed to reduce blowby condensing in the crankcase and diluting the
oil or causing corrosion. That's why it was Standard equipment on all
big GMC (series 400 & above) trucks from the 40's up.

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula, FL