Re: [oletrucks] 283 in a '57?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 283 in a '57?
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:21:34 EST
Are you sure the last letter is an "S"?

It seems that the first three indicate that it was built at the Flint plant
and that it was built on 4/17 but the S doesn't seem to fit for the 55-59
years at least out of the book I've got.  Since the last letter didn't match
the tables I have, I couldn't tell what year is was.

If you really want to start a fight, say that your 57 should have a 265 V8
instead of a 283. . .though there may have been some 283's get in at the end
of the model year.  Cars picked up the 283 about a year before the trucks
did.  My brother's 57 Cameo is a 265 V8 truck.  It's possible and maybe
probably that the school bus being a "big truck" may have had the 283 though.
. .and I thought that the big stuff from those years could also have the 348
V8, but you should've had alot more troube installing it if it was the "big
block" engine.

Mark Noakes

How big of a school bus was this?