Re: [oletrucks] 283 in a '57?

Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 283 in a '57?
From: "kirk pierce" <kpierce@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:30:17 -0600
Thanks to Mike, Joe, Bill, and Don for information.

It would appear that this is most likely a '57 283 (which is what I was told
the motor was when I got it).  However, several questions have been asked
back.  I will answer them as best I can.

1.    What is the casting # on the left hand rear of the block?
        -     It is difficult to see all the digits and I am not sure how
many digits there should be, but it looks like 973548.  The first digit -
'9' is questionable because I was looking through the starter hole in the
floorboard to see it.  The '73548' portion I am pretty sure of because I
could see this from beneath the left front wheel-well.

2.    Where are the motor mounts?
    -    The motor mounts are on the front of the block.  A line drawn
through the center of each motor mount would be just above the crankshaft
centerline I believe.

3.    Where is the oil filler?
    -    The oil filler is in the intake manifold directly behind the water
pump.

4.    Are there accessory holes in the heads?
    -    No.  None.

5.    Does it have side motor mount bosses?
    -    I don't believe so.  There are no holes drilled anywhere on the
sides of the motor for mounting.  The only "boss" looking area is around the
front freeze plugs, but they have no holes.