Re: [oletrucks] 4400 '57

To: "B Boschma" <990158.STUD@nhtv.nl>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 4400 '57
From: "Gary L Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:41:17 -0500
Pay the money and have it towed home or trucked. It's not safe to drive
something that old when sitting for several years, too much can go wrong.
Brakes are usually the first thing that blows, only single line no back-up
system. The park brake probably isn't adusted tight and won't stop a moving
truck well. Gas tank will be rusted and gunky, maybe leaking and clog all
your carb and filters. I wouldn't change rear and trans oils till I ran it
some, don't go bad. Engine oil you may change, I'ld do it at home, make sure
it's full before driving. Engine oil, I would use straight 30, 10w30 is
reccommended by some. Check the water level, can fill with water in warmer
climate till home. Hoses and pump could leak or blow trying to drive. Not
sure values in foreign markets, not real high here for big trucks. $1500 to
$2500 seems right for one in fairly good shape. That's US dollars and in US.
Tires rot and dry, may be another problem driving. Haul it!

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
50 Chevy COE (project)
55 GMC COE (project)