Re: [oletrucks] gas tank

To: roliver@cablelan.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gas tank
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 16:02:03 EDT
In a message dated 05/02/2001 10:57:48 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
roliver@cablelan.net writes:

<< I believe there was thread recently about gas tanks for AD trucks.I
 tried the archives but I guess they are still down.What I am after is
 which tanks fit under the bed without a lot of fabricating,I want to
 move it from behind the seat.Or am I wasting my time and energy
 and should just pay the piper and get one specially made. >>

Yes, there has been a lot of discussion about this, but I'm happy to tell you
what I did with my truck. I bought a 16 gallon fuel cell which ended up under
my bed where the original (long-gone) spare tire was. I removed the spare
tire bracket, and moved a crossmember, and notched the rear-most crossmember.
My bed is solid 1/4" steel, so I used a cut-off wheel to remove a square
piece which I replaced with a hinge and keyed latch. I installed my fuel
level sender (VDO) by cutting a hole with a hole-saw. Make sure to ground the
sender with a wire since the tank is plastic. After more than 30,000 miles,
I've had no problems, and I don't have to smell the gas!
BTW, if you're afraid of the plastic fuel cell, they do make steel-enclosed
ones.