Re: [oletrucks] Rearend sizing

To: stephanie@annexe.cwnet.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rearend sizing
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 11:55:46 EDT
In a message dated 05/05/2001 1:28:04 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
stephanie@annexe.cwnet.com writes:

<< I was just about to go get a narrow rearend for my '53 1/2 ton when i
 realized i had forgotten about the back spacing.  I was going for a 57.25",
 but i measured the bed as being about 50" wide, so that only leaves 3.625"
 for backspacing.  My wheel is 3.5" BS.  So this doesn't leave much clearance
 at all.  I'm just kind of wondering what other people have done.  I don't
 think my wheels that I'm going to get come in any less than 3.5"
 backspacing.

My '84 Pontiac Parisienne rear gave me this problem with my '48, and I
eventually resorted to wheel spacers. I installed 5/8" lugs and 1/2" spacers,
and it just barely fixed my problem. With 255/70R15 tires and 8" wheels, more
offset than that would have caused interference on the outside. In
retrospect, I wish I had built some mini-(very mini) tubs while I was doing
the paint job and avoided this trouble completely.