Re: [oletrucks] RV Cam

To: "stephen johnston" <stephenzone@hotmail.com>, wschick1@twcny.rr.com,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] RV Cam
From: "Thomas Allen" <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 18:14:40 -0800
Typically, an RV cam is, just as you say, a low to mid-range cam. They are short
duration, high lift cams with a little more duration than a stock cam, and may
have more exhaust duration  than intake duration. They are usually advanced
rather than a split overlap. The RPM range for peak torque is usually 2600-3200
or so. This makes a very good truck cam especially for an engine that can be
kept within this range when pulling hard. For a hotter street engine you could
use a cam with better top-end characteristics and not suffer drivability, such
as in a half-ton with a V8 but you won't be unhappy with the one you got unless
you expect to be turning it 5-6000 RPM.

-Tom