Re: [oletrucks] leak-down compression test

To: "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>, "Rob J." <a70ragtop@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] leak-down compression test
From: "Jay Baker" <jaybaker@ruralnetwork.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:50:15 -0700
You guys are missing the boat on the leak down test the Idea is to see if
and were it's leaking  BOTH valves have to be closed for this to occur IE at
TDC if your piston is in any other position one valve or the other will be
open by the cam. You are trying to determine if it's leaking past the rings
or the valves or both. and by far the easiest way is to just remove the
valve cover and observe the rocker arms until they are both up ie closed.
remove all the plugs to make it easier to turn bye hand. I just put a little
pressure on the fan belt and turn it. (make shure it's out of gear)  PS on a
compression test it is also important that there all within I think 5% of
each other.
you use the same procedure to adjust the valves. wich isn't a bad Idea while
your at it. can't hurt. listen in the carb for intake leaks and the exaust
for exaust valve leaks and the pan ie roaddraft tub for ring leaks. from
what you describe sounds like rings but as was mentioned do it again with it
warmed up and the throttle wide open.
Hope that helps

 keep on Truckin Jay Baker