Re: [oletrucks] leak-down compression test

To: Tinker <tinker@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] leak-down compression test
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:52:31 -0800
A motor can run and not use too much oil and still have too much blow-by
caused by leaking rings. Poor fuel economy and low power are the result.
Keeping blow-by to a minimum can make a huge difference. That's the theory
behind Total Seal piston rings. I have done leak-down tests on engines so
equipped and measured less than 1% leak down.

Tom Allen
51 3800

At 06:50 PM 1/24/02 +0100, Tinker wrote:
>I may have missed something, but why did you do the compression test in the
>first place. Does the motor run? If so, does it use oil? With consistently
>low figures on all cylinders, piston rings are the probable reason. Having
>done a compression test and found low compression, the next step is to take
>the cylinder head off! The only way to find out what's wrong! If the motor
>runs and doesn't burn too much oil, where's the problem.
>
>Matthew Tinker (this is my real name!)

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA