[oletrucks] Saginaw Transmission

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Saginaw Transmission
From: James Collins <jxc7@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:29:36 -0500
Hi,

I recently came into possession of 3 Saginaw 4 speed trans. None of
them are functional, but my machine shop broke them down and has
confidence that I will get at least one good one trading the best
parts between them. However, I have a few questions.

Question #1.
The main problem at this point is that there are no shift forks in
any of them. So the question is, anyone have any thoughts as to the
availability of said parts. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "forget
it, there are all gone or in museums or cost more than any sane
person would pay," and 10 being, "Napa sells them for $1.98 each."

Question #2.
One of trans has 2 grooves on the input shaft and the other two trans
have no grooves. According to Patrick's Parts catalog that would
indicate I have one 3.11 and two 3.50 ratio trans. My machinist tells
me that by his count all trans are the same, each gear share the same
number of teeth. How can this be? Or is this not an issue?

Question #3. If you might be able to answer these questions but need
more info, what might I gather up to move things along?

I am a novice so please type slow and don't worry about insulting me
by stating the obvious or using any or all means to crack my skull
open to make it receptive to the mysteries of the transmission.

Thanks,

James

1950 3100 w/1953 325 3 speed on tree.