RE: [oletrucks] Electronic Gadgets for trucks...some ideas (

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Electronic Gadgets for trucks...some ideas (
From: josiah.bartlett@exgate.tek.com
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:17:08 -0800
LED meters:
The National Semiconductor LM3914 chip is perfect for this. It is a $4 part,
a 12-segment LED driver with comparators in it and it is designed for
exactly this purpose. It allows settable range and level through resistor
selection, daisy chaining, led brightness control, lets you pick between
bargraph and single segment display, and runs off a variety of voltages. You
could configure it for voltmeter, ammeter, oil pressure, temperature,
air/fuel mixture, and others just by using it with the appropriate sensor. I
am going to add bungs in my headers that I am building for oxygen sensors,
which I will use for fine tuning my new 2 deuce Edmunds/Stromberg setup on
my 235. I already built one of these circuits for my car for about $5 in
parts. O2 sensors are self powered and cost about $20 for the one wire
units. They all send out the same signal levels no matter what brand (just
have differant connectors and warm up times). I am going to build up a set
of hidden led meters to mound in the slots of my radio grille in my '50. You
won't see them until they are on. I will build a tach, 123 mixture, 456
mixture, oil pressure, temp, and vacuum. This will probably be a next winter
project, but if enough people are interested I will have a PCB made and I
will make the plans available. The tachometer will require a bit more
circuitry but I think it would preserve the original dash lines nicely while
allowing me modern instrument function. The other option I was thinking
about was to make the dash radio blank plate hinged with instruments behind
it so I could pop it open to see them, or make a piece of smoked plexi to
replace it and put them behind it. I have to get the truck painted and put
the engine in before all that though.
-Josiah Bartlett
Electrical Engineer
(I actually design electronic instrumentation for a living)