Re: [oletrucks] Painting questions

To: a70ragtop@hotmail.com (Rob)
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Painting questions
From: Tom3600@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:45:42 -0500 (CDT)
Rob ~

I spent over 40 yrs. in the paint and industrial coatings industry.  One
of the best sites that I have seen to answer painting questions is:

http://www.xs11.com/faq/paintfaq.shtml

My advise to most people is to read carefully the directions that are
either on the containers or that come separately.   The "recoat window"
varies widely with each type and manufacturer of base coat/clear coat
systems.  Most all systems allow time to sand or repair the
imperfections in the base coat before you apply the clear coat.  I think
that the maximum time between base coat and clear coat is about 72 hrs.
at 75 degrees F.  After that you will not have good intercoat adhesion
between the two coats because the basecoat has completely cured.
If anyone has any specific paint questions that you can not find the
answer to, don't hesitate to email me.

Tom

Tom Poterack
Moline, IL.