Re: [oletrucks] Front wheel bearings 51 AD

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Front wheel bearings 51 AD
From: "Scott Tyson" <scott-tyson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:45:31 -0400
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and even the lively conversation
pro and con. I have an old Bower/BCA (Federal Mogul) that I'm looking at and
it lists the same bearing and seal for 46-59 Chevy 1/2 ton trucks. So it
looks like both the AD and TF guys are able to engage in the same
conversation.

My reasoning for replacing bearings with the taper style is that A.) My
bearings are showing signs of brinnelling on the inner bearings. B.) I am
going to use the disc brake kit that uses the original hubs and spindles.
The catalog recommends their taper bearing kit. (Just trying to increase
sales?). C.) I remember from my old engineering courses that taper bearings
are rated for about double the radial load and almost 4 times that thrust
load. ( I admit I drank a lot during my college days and may have my facts
all screwed up) that's why I was looking for taper bearings. Why don't I
just buy the kit? A.) I'm cheap B.) It's too easy. (I'm already going the
easy route on the brakes.) I enjoy scrounging whether it's looking through
catalogs, internet searches or tapping into the knowledge of everyone here
at oletrucks. If I had more time I'd be digging in the junkyard figgerin',
fabbin' and riggin' like the good old days.

You have to agree this is more fun that giving your credit card number over
the phone.

thanks again everyone and I'll be looking for folks wearing Oletruck
T-shirts at Carlisle tomorrow.

Scott