Re: [oletrucks] tuned port injection

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] tuned port injection
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:02:18 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 24 April 2002, "Bill Broadway" wrote

> Well Jon, if you read Mike's post he said he already has an engine with
> TPI (which actually stands for Tuned Port Injection, which *is* a multi
> port injection as it has an injector for each cylinder). Not sure where
> you get that they won't handle much horsepower, as they originally came
> on very high performance cars such as the IROC Camaro.

Actually, though the TPI engines do have one injector per cylinder, the TPI
engines bank
fire the injectors instead of sequentially firing them.  In efficiency tests,
there's
only a slight difference at the lower rpm though between the TPI approach and
the full
sequential approach, at least with a tuned intake like the TPI.  I gather the
main
reason that GM went to the full multiport was for emissions and better running
at low
rpm.

Mark Noakes