[oletrucks] Re: 347 V8 Pistons

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: 347 V8 Pistons
From: Joe Way <joe@brakecylinder.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 08:03:13 -0800
On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 07:47:25 -0700, you wrote:

>oletrucks-digest     Saturday, November 23 2002     Volume 02 : Number 1789
>
>Subject: RE: [oletrucks] GMC V8 pistons
>
>I had already suggested Kanter's to him, but he said that Kanter's told him
>the pistons were the same for the GMC and Pontiac 347.  At that point he asked
>if the pistons for the Pontiac were the high (10.25:1) or low (8.5:1)
>compression ratio and Kanter's replied that they were flat top.
>
>I believe that the GMC (and probably the low compression Pontiac) pistons were
>dished to get the lower compression.  I know that the 7.6:1 compression ratio
>GMC V8 and the 10.25:1 Pontiac used the same head casting, so they must have
>dished the pistons to reduce the ratio.

=================
Tell him to call Lester Harris in Minden NV at 775-267-2559. He
specializes in vintage engine and chassis parts and supplies many of
the "big-name" vendors. One of them is Egge Machine, which should be
his next stop after Lester. http://www.egge.com/ They manufacture many
pistons, and will certainly have good information for him.

If the only difference between the pistons is the dish, and the flat
pistons are available, a *good* auto machine shop should be able to
machine the flattop pistons into dished pistons.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive