RE: [oletrucks] Off-topic : opinions on early Chevy 350 diesel

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Off-topic : opinions on early Chevy 350 diesel
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:24:10 -0600
That was in the late 70's early 80's.  Olds offered the same modified
350 gas converted engines in their larger cars.  They were nothing
but trouble.  Olds replaced many under warranty, others at owner's
cost.

Chevy later came out with a 6.2l diesel for the pickups and suburbans.
If you are bound and determined to put a diesel in your light truck,
this or the current Chevy Duramax (Isuzu) diesel would probably
be the one to use.  Isuzu also makes smaller diesels for the line
of medium duty trucks marketed by GM.

I would also take a look at what is in most school buses and ambulances
now days.  Most of these are diesel now.

The real diesels (like the GM 4-71) are extremely heavy and probably
not suitable for a 1/2 ton truck without extensive front end modifications.
BTW, what was once GM Diesel is now owned by Daimler Chrysler of
all people and the two cycle series diesels are no longer current,
though they are supported with parts.

Bruce K
Mt. Iron, MN

GM's third truck division, Euclid, used to make a mining truck with
two 6-71's, Allison transmissions, and drivelines mounted side by
side.

At Sunday, 26 January 2003, you wrote:

>Hey Guys/Jerry,
>
>I'll Post Info Tonight About The Diesel Engines. I'm Busy Right
Now, But
>Later You Will Want To Pull A Chair Up :) I Heavily Researched Alot
About
>*all* Diesel Engines, No Matter Who Made Them. If It Can Be Stuck
Into A