Re: [oletrucks] Smaller of the small blocks

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Smaller of the small blocks
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:14:20 -0800 (PST)
The 302 was a special engine for the early Z28 Camaros; the displacement had to
do with
racing restrictions for Trans Am at the time.  It was a high revving high
performer.
Real ones are scarce and $$$...but I've always heard that you could build one
up out of
283 and 327 parts.

The 283 in performance trim was also a high rev engine but not much torque at
the bottom
end.  Not a bad engine but  others can out do it.

I've always heard mildly bad things about the 307 but have no hard facts.

My 86 pickup has the 305; some people swear by them; some people swear at them.
 Even GM
says that they have a tendency towards pinging due to valve shrouding.  Mine
has always
had a problem with pinging...but it also has reached 222 Kmiles before just now
getting
to the point where it's struggling.  The 305 was also in the previous
generation Camaro,
so I know that there are quite a few hop up parts for it...including the TPI
setup.

That said; the 350 isn't that much bigger than the 305 and you wouldn't see too
much
different in gas mileage...if that's the issue.  There's more performance parts
for the
350 than about anything else.

Mark Noakes