[oletrucks] Smaller of the small blocks

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Smaller of the small blocks
From: Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:05:04 -0500
I will take exception to that remark! :-) We have a 307 in our 1/2 ton 73
with 3/4 ton rear end and HD suspension. We tow the 3000 lb. race car with
1500 lb. trailer and spare tire rack full. A load of well over 5000 lbs,
with the bed also full of tools, spare parts, nitrogen bottle, jacks,
stands truck spare and cooler of food and drinks. We tow it over hill and
dale, north to the race track about 40 minutes at anywhere from 55 to 80
MPH. This thing screams! It pulls real strong up the hills at 55. We've had
no problems with it other than the input shaft bearings wearing out and
clutches. I always thought they were gas hogs as my dad had one when they
were new and the gas crisis was here. But I tell you what. This thing pulls
just as good as the 350's and some diesels. And I gladly feed it fuel habit
as it is so dependable. I guess you get a good one once in a while. The
only complaint I have is the truck doesn't have power steering, or brakes.
Lucky the trailer has great ones. We've done this 4 years in a row. Next
year we got a dual rear wheel box van.
Roger G.
51 3100 AD huckster

>Mark wrote"
>The 302 was a special engine for the early Z28 Camaros; the displacement
had to do >with racing restrictions for Trans Am at the time.  It was a
high revving bottom >end.  Not a bad engine but others can out do it.

>I've always heard mildly bad things about the 307 but have no hard facts.

>My 86 pickup has the 305; some people swear by them; some people swear at
them.  Even >GM says that they have a tendency towards pinging due to valve
shrouding.  Mine has >always had a problem with pinging...but it also has
reached 222 Kmiles before just >now getting to the point where it's
struggling.  The 305 was also in the previous >generation Camaro, so I know
that there are quite a few hop up parts for >it...including the TPI setup.

>That said; the 350 isn't that much bigger than the 305 and you wouldn't
see too much
>different in gas mileage...if that's the issue.  There's more performance
parts for >the 350 than about anything else."