Re: [oletrucks] TF V8 conversion...6 had side-mount, v-8s

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF V8 conversion...6 had side-mount, v-8s
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 12:29:43 EST
  ALL 6-cylinder engines had side mounts, AFAIK, back then. The V-8's had all
front mounts, and you used a different set of holes in the front frame
crossmember to move the mounts for the 6 or 8. I used original v-8 FRONT
engine mounts OUT OF A '57 CHEVY CAR to line up the motor for a side mount
crossmember kit in my '55 TF Suburban V-8 swap, then removed them after the
side-mount kit was installed. The passenger car V-8 brackets that bolt to the
motor are the same ( or should be ) as on the trucks. The only thing that
changed MAYBE was the actual bolt on rubber pads that mounted the pad to the
crossmember, and that could have been the same, too. I used the car version,
and it worked fine. Fit perfect, no alignment issues, etc. I wasn't happy
with the tube-type "universal" REAR tranny mount ( out of J.C. Whitney mag ),
as it interferes with the emergency brake cable mounting bracket, and
something else I've forgotten ( the truck is NOT yet on the road, so I may
swap the rear tube support out for a Chevy flat-type mount later, which moves
it to a different spot on the frame and will clear all my OEM components
then, having trial-fitted one I had laying around, but requires some mods ).
    So, that was my experience with a 6-to-V8 conversion. The tube style
"kit" comes with both front AND rear supports, you can't order them separate,
I don't think, and not being happy with the rear mount, that's an extra cost.
Not sure how others have done this, I have seen the flat early '70's Chevy
trans mount used in TF truck conversions, and the tube type mount used up
front like mine. Might be other kits out there that work better than JC
Whitney's version.
    Well, that's all I can contribute, so have a fun time! AMC ya ( oh ,
wrong list! LOL )

Jerry Casper
'55 Chevy TF Suburban
8 AMC Gremlins