Re: [oletrucks] TF V8 conversion...cutting out riveted mounting

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF V8 conversion...cutting out riveted mounting
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 12:46:08 EST
Cameo3124@aol.com writes:
<< ,the front mounts can be acheived in  two ways if the the motor has
provisons for side mounts, you can obtain from a donor truck which had a v-8
the motor mounts,you will have to cut the rivets off to get them and then
bolt them to your frame  the holes should be ther allready,,  >>

    I think what Cameo is saying is incorrect, unless he's talking aboaut
58-59 which I know nothing about, I believe he's talking about the V-8
radiator cradle brackets, NOT the V-8 engine brackets. The V-8 TF trucks ( of
'55-'56-'57, anyway ) had a different radiator support for V-8's than 6-s,
and if you didn't have these brackets to remount a V-8 radiator system, the
fenders would sag down in front, and the hood, too. This is NOT related to
the engine mounts on early TF trucks!!!  I'm running an original 6 cylinder
radiator, front radiator cradle, etc, and it works FINE with my Chevy 350
V-8. If you look down at the front frame corner, where the radiator cradle
attaches, you should see 4 holes ( some may be used by the 6 cradle, but not
all ). There are C-channel flange style brackets that mount to these holes,
like 1/4 inch thick steel, to lift the radiator cradle up some for V-8
setups. ONLY if you're doing a COMPLETE original style conversion will you
need this! If you are keeping the original 6 cradle and radiator, then you
won't need these. And yes, they DO need to be cut off a V-8 truck chassis,
they are riveted to it from the factory with 1/2 inch rivets or something
like that. But the v-8 engine mounting is done on the cross-member of the
original frame ( on 55-56-57 trucks ), and the V-8 and 6 holes are BOTH
there. Only need the engine brackets and bolt mounts, which should be
obtainable. Again, I know NOTHING of '58 or '59 truck engine mounts, only the
early TF trucks.

Jerry Casper
'55 2nd TF Suburban