Re: [oletrucks] Running unleaded

To: <Cameo3124@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Running unleaded
From: "Dingo" <Dingo@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:53:39 -0500
I used to have, until 2 years ago, a '68 Impala with a 327. Car is gone, but
the engine will go into my '57. Mine was like the 327  from the Camaro in
the '56 in that it is a 250 horsepower version. Has a Q-jet, but low
compression heads. I seem to remember 8:5 or 8:75 to 1. I ran unleaded and
with the low compression, never had any pinging or detonation. Tried some
lead additives on occasion with no difference in performance. Had 43k when I
got it, put 50k more on it. Still ran great, pulls strong (dang, loved that
old powerglide!). Have a 700R4 to put behind it now. I have been told that
if I ever re-do the engine or heads to put in hardened seats and at the same
time go to bigger valves, 1.94's - 2.02's may not be needed for the street.
So maybe this may be something to consider too. The low compression 327's
have smaller valves, intake AND exhaust, than the other higher comp.
versions. Open it up and let it breathe when going to hardened seats.

Ed in Mich
'57 3100