Re: [oletrucks] What is hot?

To: wroworth@hotmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] What is hot?
From: Ie61pah@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:21:01 EDT
wroworth@hotmail.com writes:

> Went well but have a few questions. I have a SunPro temp gauge and am
> wondering at what temp reading should I be concerned. I am running a 400
> Chevy
> SB with a 160 degree thermostat, original re-cored radiator and fan with no
> shroud. When not hauling and no a/c the temp reading is around 195 degrees
> when it is 90 degrees outside. When hauling and no a/c it's around 245
> degrees. Speed is 55-60 mph. I am thinking a need a better radiator and a
> shroud. What do you think?
>
> Wayne - '47 Panel http://www.itswhatsnext.com/ifs/ifs%20project.htm

  If it was truly running at 245 degrees, I'm surprised you still have a
running engine. SB 400's do not typically handle high heat real well. They had
bad habit of running hot, but didn't handle it well. They were not a real
popular engine for hot-rodding for that reason.
 First, I'd have your gauge checked to make sure its reading the right temp.
In my opinion, you should install a shroud no matter what. They help to make
sure the air is pulled through all of the radiator surface. You may also want
to check the flow rate of your water pump. If it's flowing too fast, the water
in the radiator doesn't get a chance to cool before it's sent back to the hot
engine. You may have to change pulley size, or install a water restrictor to
slow down the water flow. If your going to use the truck for pulling on a
regular basis, then you might want to go a head and install a good cross flow
radiator, to help keep it as cool as possible. Good Luck.
Patrick A. Hollister '58 step
West Burlington, IA.