RE: [oletrucks] What is hot?

To: "'Wayne Roworth'" <wroworth@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] What is hot?
From: "Doug Wathor" <wathor@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 07:49:23 -0700
Wayne,

I've been following this thread with some interest, and really liked the
picture on your web site. Nice setup.

I have a question for the rest of the group. Most of the other respondents
to this thread have suggested a fan shroud to help your cooling problem. But
as I read your email, the 245 degree temperature reading was at 55 to 60
MPH. It is my understanding that fans, with or without shrouds, are useless
above speeds of about 30 MPH, in that they are unable to pull more air
across the radiator than what is already coming through at these speeds
(unless perhaps traveling with a 60 MPH tail wind...;-)). This is why newer
cars with electric fans rarely reach the temperature at which the fans turn
on, unless stopped in traffic. If my understanding is correct, then how will
a fan shroud help your cooling problem at 55 to 60 MPH?

Of course, there is no question that a fan shroud will improve the air flow
across your radiator at slower speeds. I just wouldn't go to all the trouble
of incorporating a fan shroud if you're trying to increase the air flow at
55 to 60 MPH.

But, I'm no expert in this area, so I'd be interested in what the rest of
the group has to say about this.

Doug
Livermore, CA
'63 Split-Window Corvette, restored