Re: [oletrucks] What is hot?

To: chevytruck <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] What is hot?
From: Steven Stuckmeyer <slstu51@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 04:36:27 -0700 (PDT)
Wayne,
If your coolant has the proper mix, system operates efficiently, gages are
correct, and your radiator is the proper size for the application, you should
run 10-15 degrees hotter than your thermostat under normal loads. I would be
concerned if it runs over 220-230 degress for a 350/400. I don't know what the
origanal radiator cores are but I would have a 3-4 core radiator and
deffinately try to incorperate a shroud in there. That makes cooling alot more
efficient. I spent many a hot summer off road in the Yuma, AZ deserts with a 78
4x4 Sub (400 sb) pulling a trailer & 79 CJ5 (with 304 v8) and never went over
200 degrees in either one when it was 110 out. They had 4 core radiators and
extra trans cooler in the sub. Just my thoughts.
Steve
51 3100
St Peters, MO

Wayne Roworth <wroworth@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hey y'all. Put my suspension, a/c and everything else to the test last weekend
and hauled a newly acquired 31' travel trailer 300 miles. The suspension,
power steering, etc. was a dream come true. Pic is below.

http://www.itswhatsnext.com/ifs/P1010049.JPG

Went well but have a few questions. I have a SunPro temp gauge and am
wondering at what temp reading should I be concerned. I am running a 400 Chevy
SB with a 160 degree thermostat, original re-cored radiator and fan with no
shroud. When not hauling and no a/c the temp reading is around 195 degrees
when it is 90 degrees outside. When hauling and no a/c it's around 245
degrees. Speed is 55-60 mph. I am thinking a need a better radiator and a
shroud. What do you think?

Wayne - '47 Panel http://www.itswhatsnext.com/ifs/ifs%20project.htm