Re: [oletrucks] TF stuff and such - diesels

To: "J Forbes" <jforbes2@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF stuff and such - diesels
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:54:38 -0700
I've done quite a bit of research on light diesels for pick ups. I lived in
logging country in Oregon when I was in the 8th grade. This was in 1950, and
51. I think diesels were just getting very popular in log trucks. Abt the
6.2 and 6.5 engines-they (at least the 6.2) were available in 1/2, 3/4, and
1 ton Chevy's and GMC pick ups and Suburbans. The 6.2 had a very weak lower
end- crankshaft, and mainbearings. The 6.5 was quite a bit better. Also, the
6.5 with turbocharging was much more powerful. But neither engine was a true
diesel, as "real" diesels are very HD, and often hit 500,000 miles with
little unscheduled maintenance. And are built REALLY HD. Keep in mind gas
engines run around 7-10 to one compression ratio, and diesels run  from abt
16 to 20 to one. I've talked to some diehard 6.2-6.5 fans. They say the
engines are good, but you have to watch the harmonic balancers. They go out
of balance, and tear up the engine. My favorite would be the "Dodge" 5.9L
Cummins diesel. But I looked into having a 92-95 Chevy converted by a good
shop, and the cost was abt $12,000. Plus the cost of the pick up. I can buy
a 96-97 Dodge pick up for $13-14,000. I'd much prefer the Chevy (or GMC),
but the cost is too high. I saw a 57 GMC 370 LCF a couple of years ago in
which the owner put a Cummins. He said it worked great, but he had a two
speed rear end. I probably have a photo of it somewhere, plus the owners
name. He lives in the Spokane WA area. I did contact Cummins, and they told
me that bell housings were available for GM transmissions. If you went to
the 4L 80, or whatever GM's HD auto OD tranny is, you'd have a great rig.
But I think you'd have to be able to do most of the conversion work
yourself, or have a very capable friend. I think the 5.9 engine weighs at
least 1000 lbs, and probably more. But the 345 in my 78 Scout weighs I think
745 lbs without accessories. Does anyone know what a GM big block V-8
weighs?  But I recently saw a FXXD 3/4 ton in which a shop had put  a
Cummins, and the owner said it worked great. It also had a gearvendors OD,
so the slow speed of the diesel (max abt 2500 rpm) wasn't a problem at
speed.  Rest time. Bob K in PHX, AZ.