Re: [oletrucks] TF stuff and such - diesels

To: jforbes2@mindspring.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF stuff and such - diesels
From: Spinningroach@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:43:15 EDT
Hi guys, just a personal opinion about diesel engines (non-GM, sorry... ).

I'm not personnaly crazy about diesel engines, but I think when they are well
designed, and have been properly maintained over the years, they can be
really amazing. I was given a '61 Mercedes truck a few months ago. I don't know
how
many milles the truck has on it, but it had been used as a tow truck for a
circus since 1961. Then it remainded on a parking lot for 4 years (having only
been fired up once in these 4 years). I had the truck towed next to my house,
and asked the truck company that towed it to start the engine. When I got
there, the engine was at idle and sounded real good. The guys said it started
without any problem. I drove it twice, doing maybe 30 milles. It really ran
like a
charm (much to my surprise!). Yesterday I paid its first real visit to my
truck after more than 9 months... well, I fired up the engine... AND IT CRACKED
UP
RIGHT AWAY, IMMEDIATELY. Then, I drove it to its new garage a quarter mille
away, without any further problem... not bad for a truck that was supposed to
be crushed, uh??? JP