[oletrucks] TF stuff and such - diesels

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] TF stuff and such - diesels
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:02:02 -0700
> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:57:32 -0700
> From: mark <ccpanel@jps.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] TF stuff and such
>
> camper saga again.
> you'all know i have an original 55 TF 1t camper with factory? 18" wheels.
> need another dually one for a spare.
> also-its bone stock-what is the rated horsepower and where?_(wheels/flywheel)
>         also... is it the worst type of nsaty to take out teh stock 235 and
> install a 80's diesel or a 68 caddy 472?  if the diesel-which one? i have a
> chevy factory conversion/or original diesel and another one whih i dont know
> but its in a IH BIG by HUGE box van. i have pics if anyone can help.
> http://customclassics.org   under the wanted section just click where i say
> diesel on the sale page.

The Chevy 6.2 liter diesel would probably be closer to a bolt in, since
it uses the same side mounts as the small block Chevy engine.  You would
need to add an aftermarket crossmember to hold the engine, and if you
put an automatic behind it you'll need a trannsmission crossmember also.

The 235 was rated at 112 gross horsepower (flywheel) according to the
chart in the Chevy data package for the 1955 trucks.  Peak torque was
200 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm.  Probably similar to the 6.2 diesel   :)

I think if you go back in the archives a couple years ago you'll find
all kinds of discussions of the merits of different diesel engines.  I
personally would stay away from the diesels, but they do have some
advantages for some folks.  The GM Oldsmobile 350 (5.7) diesel from the
late 70s to about 1981 was not a good engine most of the time, but the
6.2 from 1982 to the late 80s was sort of OK.  The newer turbocharged
engines are quite a bit better, but they are more expensive and probably
harder to install.  Keep in mind that all diesels weigh more than gas
engines, and the better the diesel, the more it weighs!

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2