[oletrucks] Cutting metal

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Cutting metal
From: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:45:28 -0400
Group,

First I want to thank everyone on the responses to my first inquiry about
breaking welds. I am making head way with removing the old hitch. The advice
to stay away from tearing through the frame when ripping the old welds out
was very good. I thought I had most of a weld cut through so I whacked it
with a hammer and it broke off put took a little of the base frame metal
with it. I imagine if it were bigger it might have ripped a hole in the
frame. Getting tough with a big hammer would only gets me repair bills.

Since I haven't located a welder that is willing to come to my house, I am
using a combination of angle grinder and a air cut off tool. However you get
stuck where these tools won't reach. I grabbed my trusty reciprocating saw
to try to saw through the welds. These welds are eating metal blades like
crazy. If I put any kind of pressure on the saw the teeth disappear so fast
it makes your head spin. I bought what I thought was the best blade my
hardware store had. There must be something better. Is there a metal,
bi-metal blade or something made for cutting thicker metals? There are some
bigger hardware/home repair stores near work, so I could look tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bill Schickling