Re: [oletrucks] Re: Leaking Rochester 1bbl. Any cure?

To: lloydt@Colorado.EDU, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: Leaking Rochester 1bbl. Any cure?
From: Cadamsarch@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:46:34 EST
Hello Ole Truckers,

On the Rochester "B" overnight gas soak matter, I asked Steve, who operates
our neighborhood service station. (He repeatedly says the worst mistake he ever
made was to sell his 1949 AD 3100. In my book, that puts him in about the top
5 percentile of all service station operators. He'd be in the top 2 if he had
kept it.)

He suggests three things could happen:

1)  The gas, full of ethyl alcohol and butane additives, not to mention
molasses mistakenly pumped into the railroad tank car somewhere up the line,
eats
through both the carburetor and the coffee can. In the morning it's all gone.
If you're like me, you figure the thief needed what's gone more than I do: you
buy a new carburetor and try to get on with your life.

2)  The same gas, with the same stuff in it, softens the gaskets and
saturates them with a good dose of gas varnish. The soft gaskets conform to the
Rochester's twists. The varnish seals things up. No more gas leak.

3)  It's called luck--kind of like hitting the oletruck's frame with a
two-pound hammer to fix an electrical short you can't find. When it works you
think
the hammer is the best electrical tool ever invented.

Anybody know if Steve is on to something?

Regards and check your antifreeze if you live down jet-stream from Minnesota,

Culver Adams
1951 Chevy 3100
---