Re: [oletrucks] 55 chevy truck door problems

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55 chevy truck door problems
From: Ryan Sain <rsain@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 12:07:03 -0700
On 5/19/04 11:36 AM, "Alan Horvath" <alan@alanhorvath.com> wrote:

> wayne osborne wrote:
>
>> Alan Horvath did a great write up on door latch/striker adjustment,
>> its on the tech section but here's the direct link:
>> http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/doorlatch.php
>
> These latches and strikers are the worst design on the planet!  I've
> adjusted mine a hundred times and my doors still rattle!  Plus, it
> seems as the seasons change, they need readjustment.
>
> I want to put bear claw latches in, but they say the bear claws don't
> operate with push-button door handles -- I was at a show recently and
> looking at a Ford pickup truck (I don't remember what year it was ...
> 49-51?) and the Ford had push-button door handles WITH bear claw
> latches (all original)!!!  The doors closed like a dream!  I've since
> been wondering ... why couldn't we adapt those Ford bear claws to work
> on OUR trucks?
>
> Anyone?
>
> Alan
> http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/

We are doing a suicide conversion on our 59 - came with bear claws. I can
see how "push button" would be a little difficult to set up - however, the
latch release on a new bear claw is VERY light (think hair trigger for
latches) - so, a little fabricating and I would think that you could make a
push button work (tiny cantilever would work here no problem).

We decided to go with latch release actuators (read - shaved door handles -
electric buttons) to open ours.

- Ryan