Re: [oletrucks] throw out arm boot

To: wschick1@twcny.rr.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] throw out arm boot
From: Cadamsarch@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:24:28 EDT
Hello Bill, Nick, and Other Ole Truckers,

I measured the fine looking rubber clutch fork boot from Chevy Duty. It's
groove, which ought to be close to the bellhousing opening, is about 1-5/8" x
3-7/8". The groove's width, which ought to be close to the bellhousing
thickness,
is about 3/16".

My 1950 Chevy 216 bellhousing has an opening for the clutch fork boot that
measures 1-1/16" x 3-3/8". Bellhousing thickness where the boot would fit is
1/4" to 5/16" at the two sides and forward end: the aft end is chisel-like,
tapering down to 1/16".

With the optimism of a young child, and in the clear light of day, I downed
my second cup of coffee made as strong as you Ole Truckers in New Orleans brew
it, and set to work. I pushed. I pulled. I'll spare you the @*&%#\$s. Perhaps
I'm a slow learner because I was sweating like a rainstorm by the time I
realized that fine looking rubber clutch fork boot was not going to reside in
my
216 bellhousing.

After a cold shower, just for curiosity's sake, I measured my 1960 Chevy 235
bellhousing. Sure enough, that fine looking rubber clutch fork boot and the
newer bell housing are a match made in Heaven.

What I like about my Chevy AD is it's simplicity. It has done just fine for
fifty-three years with little pieces of the world drifting into the
bellhousing's clutch fork opening. Darn near all of 'em find their way out.
That's pretty
much how it's going to continue.

Regards, good luck, and keep on trucking.

Culver Adams
1951 Chevy 3100
Spare clutch fork boot for 1960 and similar 235 bellhousing.

---