RE: [oletrucks] Engine swap

To: "'Gary Gittleson'" <overtime@warwick.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Engine swap
From: "SCH (OldSub)" <Steve@oldsub.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:45:50 -0800
The original motor is front mounted and bolts to a bellhousing that bolts to
a crossmember.  The 350 will not bolt to your bellhousing, and far as I
know, there is no bellhousing that will bolt to your crossmember and a 350.

If you use a '54-'55 1st crossmember you can use a '63 to '67 or so
bellhousing to address that problem.  I don't know if 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton
crossmembers are the same or not.  I do know that 1-1/2 ton and larger
trucks have a different crossmember.

Taking that approach you can retain your original rear motor mount location
(the bellhousing) but will need the front crossmember.  You are also going
to have trouble with the exhaust and steering wanting to occupy the same
space.  '56 Chevy exhaust manifolds, and 305 Chevy exhaust manifolds are
said to resolve that problem, but I've never seen one or tried it myself.

I have seen trucks where the steering box was moved out from the frame far
enough to create clearance.  Doing so also creates potential problems.

A 3/4-ton is different than a 1/2-ton is that there is a short driveshaft
between a torque tube and the rear axle.  You can change the rear gears by
swapping the differential from a later Chevy/GMC pickup up through about
'72.

If you were not pulling a trailer I'd say your original radiator if in good
condition should be fine.  Pulling a trailer I'm not as confident.

Those are my quick thoughts about regarding how to approach this.  Not
everyone is going to feel this is a good idea, so don't be surprised if some
object.

I've not done this kind of swap, but only relate what I've learned from
others.  The devil will be in the details!

Try the forum at www.StoveBolt.com for more info.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com