[oletrucks] Vehicle Title Problems (long !@#$#!)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Vehicle Title Problems (long !@#$#!)
From: Koldei <koldei-list@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:20:45 -0500
got stuck again.

 maybe someone can help find a loophole for me that i haven't looked
 into yet.

 per:
 http://www.dmv.state.ne.us/dvr/mvtitles/assem.html

 My old truck received a V8 engine in 2001, and received  a new title
 listing it as "2001 Assembled Vehicle"

 I purchased it in 10/02.

back in Illinois the title magically changed to:
 2001 Chevrolet model "pickup"

  ( i then had to pay the tax on a 1 year old vehicle OUCH!)

every few months I'll hit a minor snag, or a cop will scratch his
head.. and i try to remedy this problem, nothing ever comes of it.

not too long ago i received emission notification  (oh geez)
 so i dutifully went in, hoping i'd either my waved along once they
 saw the truck, or that i'd get tested and hopefully pass
 (if tested with old V8's as peers i might)

 unfortunately in Illinois at least, ALL vehicle built in 1996 or
 later are currently ONLY tested by plugging into the computer..

  and yeah.... no 'puters on an AD truck ;)

   I'd sent off a number of letters to  a few state departments, not
   sure exactly sure who was the best bet.

    i heard nothing back

    I forgot about it

until today.

my insurance agency ( of the last 7 years) called this morning, to
tell me that they will not renew my truck (it is oddly insured as a
1948, and too old) my policy renewed last month, and they waited till
they got my downpayment to tell me this.

so i start calling new insurance companies ( for all 3 cars, that are
on that policy)

I found one and got insured today, but in the process i found out that
the state of illinois:

suspended the plates on the truck
suspended my driver's licence
suspended my wife's driver's licence

 as the truck has not met emission standards (and/or wasn't tested)

they did this a month ago.

my best bet (maybe?) seems to be
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/apply_custom_rod.html

I'd be willing to pay the extra money and say the car came out of a
barn and get a NEW title  using the original serial #

but i have no original vehicle title,

and my bill of sale, mentions the 2001 assembled vehicle along with
the 1948 designation.

I'm assuming i can fix the driver's licence snafu with a few calls..
but that does me no good if my truck is still grounded.

ANY ideas?

Robert
Chicago

(forgive me if you've seen this on multiple lists)