[oletrucks] Questions for those who have added power steering to TF ...

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Questions for those who have added power steering to TF ...
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:15:30 -0500
... stock steering column and GM Saginaw 800 based power steering
upgrades.  (Kits available from CPP, Brothers, Chevy Duty, et al)

I am in the planning/gathering stage of doing this upgrade to my '57 GMC
daily driver.  The main reason I'm keeping the top part of the original
column is because my truck is Hydra-Matic equipped and I want to keep
the original shift mechanism.

If you have experience in any of this please chime in.

1.      How far does your steering column tube extend into the engine
compartment?  My Hydra-Matic linkage attaches to the tube in the engine
compartment.  I could fairly easily move it up (towards the steering
wheel) about 1/2".  Any more would involve re-engineering of the linkage
and neutral safety switch.

2.      Did you "double D" the original steering shaft yourself or did
you take it to a machine shop?  I have about 4" extra shaft to play with
before I have to make the final cut.  I'm thinking about using hand
tools to fit the shaft to the Flaming River U-joint.

3.      What did you use to anchor the bottom of the column (1.75"
diameter) to the floorboard?

4.    Any problems using an early power steering pump with the 800 box?