Re: [Oletrucks] My 1951 project

To: Bob Keeland <keelandb@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] My 1951 project
From: Gale Gorman <gale_gorman@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:16:36 -0600
On Jan 20, 2010, at 5:48 PM, Bob Keeland wrote:

> (I've had and been planning my 1951 restoration for 10 years without any
> progress)
>
> The truck 1951 1/2 ton 5-window.
>
> The frame will be 1989 S-10 (sorry Mark, but this seems to be the direction I
> will go - the kit includes all needed support structures - I do think that
> I'll paint the frame with POR-15 to prevent rust).

Lots of choices for frame paint but the key to rust prevention is the
preparation. Bare metal, extremely clean, self-etching primer, etc.

> I need to get a copy of the
> 2003 Classic Trucks article on using the S-10 frame/running gear, suspension,
> etc. under an old GM truck.

My '54 will still be a full-sized truck with the original front axle. It will
pull an old Airstream trailer and haul a load and still look good.

> The engine will be either a rebuilt mid-1960s 283 (if it is still any good -
> not even started for over 10 years following the rebuild - it was not me who
> did the rebuild). If the 283 is shot,

Why would the 283 be shot if it hasn't even been started? Surely you assembled
it with oil or STP.

> then for the short-term I may use the
> 2.5 L 4 cylinder that is in the S-10. What I would really like would be a
> diesel of about 350 ci, if I can find a good one (not a gas engine reformed as
> a diesel engine).

What's available in a 350ci diesel? Mercedes?

> Wheels will probably look fairly original (but not the split rims that were on
> the 3/4 tons)

Where did 3/4 ton come from? The truck was 1/2 ton and morphed to a 1/4 ton S10.

Gale Gorman
Houston