Re: [Oletrucks] My 1951 project

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] My 1951 project
From: Bob Keeland <keelandb@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:53:36 -0800 (PST)
Mark,

Excellent info on the 4.3 L V6 diesel engine. I assume that a PITA FI is some
type of fuel injection system???? A inline 6 would be good, but I would like
to get a diesel for both the long-lasting nature of a diesel engine, the
better fuel mileage, and the possibility of cheaper (and easy to make)
biodiesel. I've heard that biodiesel is better than either commercial diesel
or straight cooking oil. Do you have any good info on the straight oil
alternative (as far as quality, efficiency, and the problem with the oil
freezing in cold weather).

You say that the 6.2/6.5 and 5.9 engines require a true biofuel. Does that
rule out biodiesel? If it rules out biodiesel, then where does one obtain
'true biofuel' if you're not in southern California?  Adding chemicals and
processing used cooking oil to make biodiesel is a bit of work, but is it
really that much worse than adding an inline hearter for the cooking oil (if
you live in or often visit the colder parts of the country).

How much power do you get from your 3.9 4BTA. Would it be good for pulling a
slant load 2 horse trailer (with front compartment for gear)?

Thanks for the message. It does help the decission making process (and any
more I need all the help I can get).

BobK
1951 AD 3100
1954 AD 3600 in pieces