Re: [Oletrucks] My 1951 project

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] My 1951 project
From: Bob Keeland <keelandb@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:09:42 -0800 (PST)
Gale,

Well, it partly is because I don't have a 6 cylinder engine. The one that was
in my 1951 truck was gone long before I got the truck. There is no telling
what happened to the engine from my 1954 truck, but is also was gone before I
got the parts of that truck that I have. I could get the old 216 my dad took
out of his 1951 AD, but I don't want to mess with babbit bearings. I've heard
too many problem stories from people who have had them. So, without a
6-cylinder I'm left with what I have; a questionable 283 and a rather small
2.5 L 4-cylinder. Both of the engines on hand have potential for problems. If
they are shot, then I would like to find a diesel, and the V6 would provide
all the power I need.

Some might say that a V6 diesel engine will not look original, and I agree.
Everytime I raise the hood someone might notice. It seems like I rarely raise
the hoop when out in the world. Besides, my truck will eventuall look like
Johnny Cash's car (from his song - made from a little bit of every year).

BobK