Re: Tool for a loved one

To: Eric J Petrevich/LRM <inch@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:09:15 -0500
Eric J Petrevich/LRM wrote:
> So, to the questions...
> 1- is the HD stuff worth it?
> 2-What should a "starter" kit contain?

What I've been thinking lately is that it's just fine to get Craftsman
or Husky or whatever sockets, as long as they are good SIX POINT
sockets.  Twelve points are good for 1) twelve point fasteners and 2)
rounding six point fasteners.  There's no other use for them.

In terms of ratchets, I strongly recommend forgetting about the
Craftsman/Husky/whatever stuff and getting a nice SK or comparable
ratchet.  The teeth are much finer (smaller swing increments) and they
are >much< stronger.  If you break a socket, you can bring it back,
but I still haven't broken any of my SK ratchets... I've treated my SK
ratchets worse than my (barely used anymore) Craftsman ratchets and
I've already exchanged a couple of the Craftsmans after breaking them.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is the Craftsman/Husky sockets are
fine, but you should use that saved money to get yourself some GOOD
ratchets.  They're not even *that* much more expensive if you get a
good source like A&I Supply.  The TUFF-1 ratchets are wonderful.

Just a warning... if you start using really nice ratchets, the
plain-jane Craftsman/Husky ratchets just won't do it for you anymore.
I've had so many folks threaten to steal my ratchets when they're
working on their cars at my place. Have to make sure they're all back
before anyone leaves. ;)

Oh... and as for a starter kit on a motorcycle, I'd say 3/8" and 1/4"
with both deep and shallow six points.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster