Re: Tool for a loved one

To: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:11:29 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Richard Beels wrote:

> At 04:25 PM 11/22/99 ,  Scott Hall was inspired to say:
> >good combo wrenches are nice, and should be part of a box, but I find
> >myself using them rarely on the bike.  I more often used the wrenches with
> >one open end and one 'socket' end.  don't know what they're called, but I
> >need to buy myself a set, as the other set belonged to the tech I worked
> >with.  get 'em if you have the cash.  metric, for the bike, sae too, if
> >you're flush.
>
> Combination wrenches are combination (duh) of one open-end and one
> box-end.  I suspect you mean adjustable wrenches (aka Crescent)...

nope, not adjustable crescent wrenches, they're called 'flex' combo
wrenches (according to my s-k catalog--I actually sleep with it under my
pillow--oh, like y'all don't).  one end is an open-end wrench, like a
regular combo wrench.  the other end is a socket (I'd love 6-point, but
have only been able to find 12-point so far) that's attached to where the
box end of a combo wrench usually goes.  it flexes back and forth, like
the drive of a breaker bar.

page 128 of the omnibus 1997 s-k catalog (newer years aren't as good).

scott